Monday, October 6, 2008

No milk, no cream - no problem.

I typically have what I call- "Sweet Tooth Sunday", each Sunday night I make something sweet. Cupcakes, cookies, brownies, or ice cream. Sunday because its usually a lazy day and I bring the left overs to work. Sunday is a "safer day" with minimum time to be left entirely alone with a giant plate of sugar laden goodies and no witnesses.

This Sunday was pretty warm and humid in the house, so I didn't feel like firing up the oven. Ice Cream sounded delish- I could whip up some Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream, or Vanilla Bean no problem. Oh No- wait- I didn't buy milk or cream. No dairy in the house due to my sheer laziness at the grocery store (hey milk is heavy to carry home). My brain had already triggered the ice cream craving and there was no denying it- so I had to think outside of the "ice" box and after a little internet digging I settled on Sorbet- (I can't believe I didn't know there was no dairy in sorbet!)

It turned out surprisingly good- not quite as creamy as ice cream- but very rich with great flavor.
I used the Barefoot Contessa recipe and it was a snap to pull together- I highly recommend it! The cinnamon and espresso give it a gourmet twist and the flavor was outta sight, almost like a mexican hot chocolate taste. It took about 3 minutes to make and then 30 minutes in my ice cream machine (yeah for wedding presents!).

The recipe makes enough for 3 people...or enough for one "Sami" sized portion.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup very good cocoa powder (recommended: Pernigotti) - I used good ol' Hershey's
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup brewed espresso (1 shot)
  • 11/2 tablespoons coffee liqueur (recommended: Tia Maria) - I used Kahlua

Directions

In a large saucepan, mix the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in 2 cups water and the espresso. Cook over low heat until the ingredients are dissolved. Off the heat, stir in the coffee liqueur. Transfer to plastic containers and refrigerate until very cold.

Freeze the mixture in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. The sorbet will still be soft; place it in a plastic container and freeze for 1 hour or overnight, until firm enough to scoop.

(I ate it straight out of the machine- but you really should let it freeze up a little before enjoying it)

No comments: